Hair

12.26.2007

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, I'm entirely new to this. After reading the blogs of others online I decided that it was something I would love to give a try. I'm not really sure what to write about myself but in time I'll come back and edit. I'll also post pictures of myself. Things you should expect from my blog: talk about my hair. January 5th 2008 if my Lord and Saviour permits I'll embark on my natural hair journey with sisterlocks. I hope to document my entire mind, body and soul makeover.
I've been natural for two years after returning from winter break my freshman year in college I decided I was tired of relaxing my hair. I previously decided this before so when I shared the news with my family and friends they had a hard time believing me. I would go through the process of letting my natural hair grow out then out of frustration I would relax it. People would always say to me that my natural hair was too "nappy" to maintain and I would never suceed in going all the way natural, I believe all of their negative comments became my motivation. I've always been a fan of dreadlocks and I would tell my mother who despises the style on guys because of the men in our community. I must admit their locks were not beautiful and often times the stereotype of them being hoodlums wasn't dispproved. I had to paint a positive light of dreadlocks to my old fashion Haitian mother, so I set about looking up doctors, lawyers, preachers anyone that was doing good in the black community that wore locks. It wasn't as hard convincing her that this was something that I really wanted to do which was really surprising. Later I found that I had other female relatives that had gone natural either with dreadlocks or by cutting off all of their relaxed hair, my sister being one of them. I also had a friend of mine in college who cut off her relaxed hair and through much convincing began to see the beauty in her naturally kinky hair, I still remember the day she first introduced her natural hair to others, she was beautiful. It was as if she had this glow about her; I believe it was then that I knew I wanted to go natural and not turn back. I also went with her the first time she decided to try locks I was intrigued by the process and asked the stylist numerous questions. She didn't keep the locks in but has since gone back and had them redone. Palm rolled locks are beautiful to me and many of the people I know with locks have that style but I could never see myself with them. My best friend at the time mentioned sisterlocks to me she'd met someone over the summer that had them so I decided to research the micro locks that she thought were just gorgious. The moment I saw them I knew it was the style for me. I'm always changing my hair and I believe a part of me has been afraid to take the final step because of that. The different styles that could be done with the sisterlocks I know will work for me and my desire to always reinvent. Janurary 5,2008 is the day that me and my consultant have decided to go with. Hmm what else can I say think I'll end it here for now seeing as I'm actually at work not working! I'll write more soon and post up pictures of my naps and my enslavement to straight hair.

No comments:

SUBSCRIBERS